On Monday mornings, I have a group of women and one man who have moderate intellectual disabilities. One of their favourite activities is cooking, this week we made Pumpkin Cupcakes for Halloween. I adapted a recipe I found here. The recipe made about two dozen cupcakes and was delicious. We decorated the cakes with orange coloured cream cheese frosting, eyes made of a sliced up liquorice stick and nose and mouth of choc chips. We got rather sticky, not all the face decorations made it on to the cakes, much laughter was caused by the spooky faces, it was highly enjoyed by all.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups cooked and pureed pumpkin
1 1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, pinch of ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and oil until smooth.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Fold in chips.
3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three quarters full.
4. Bake at 180 C for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
6. Add a heaped tablespoon of orange coloured cream cheese frosting to the top of each cupcake.
7. Decorate with choc chips for nose and mouth and sliced liquorice for eyes.